Five residents of the Menlo Park City School District have applied for appointment to the vacant seat on the school board, which the board is expected to fill at a special meeting on Monday, Feb. 10.
The meeting, which will include interviews of the applicants before the appointment, begins at 6 p.m. in the district office TERC building at 181 Encinal Ave. in Atherton.
The applicants are:
● Carol Cunningham, an advocate of creating a Mandarin immersion program in the district. Ms. Cunningham has two preschool-age children, and says in her candidate statement that she hopes to send them to district schools.
● Jim Eakin, who served on the board from 1996 to 2000. His two children, now adults, attended district schools.
● Scott Hinshaw, who serves on the Menlo Park-Atherton Education Foundation board. He has three daughters in district schools.
● Stacey Jones, who serves as co-chair of the MPCSD District Council. She has three children in district schools.
● Caroline Lucas, who has a background in education. She has two children in district schools.
The person appointed by the board will serve out Laura Rich's term, which expires in December. Ms. Rich resigned last month after serving 15 years.